On a recent trip to Disney’s California Adventure, I devoured a delicious portobello mushroom philly from Award Weiners in the Hollywood Studio Backlot. With grilled mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and pepper jack cheese on a grilled roll, Award Weiners delivered a hearty vegetarian option that inspired me to recreate this meal at home. This mushroom filling would also be great for tacos!
Portobello Mushroom Philly
From Eating Well
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp minced fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 oz thinly sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese (I used mozzarella and it was tasty)
- 4 whole-wheat buns, split and toasted
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted and soft, about 7 minutes.
Reduce heat to low; sprinkle the vegetables with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth and soy sauce; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, lay cheese slices on top of the vegetables, cover and let stand until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
Divide the mixture into 4 portions with a spatula, leaving the melted cheese layer on top. Scoop a portion onto each toasted bun and serve immediately.